Sign up for email updates
Coventry Copsewood Football Club was founded in 1923. We currently play in the Midland Football League Division One.
The club was founded in 1923 by the employees of Peel Connor who had moved to Coventry from the north. The 'Connor' played in the Coventry District League until 1926 when they changed their name to Magnet F.C. as the company amalgamated with Magnito Limited. The name was changed again in 1934 becoming GEC (Cov) F.C.
It kept this name until 1988 when G.E.C. merged with Plessey to become GEC-Plessey Telecommunications (GPT.) The club was then called GPT. It stayed that way until 1999 when the company name changed to Marconi and the team became Marconi F.C.
The final name change came after the business collapse of Marconi ,when its sports facilities were sold off to British Land. In 2005, the club became Coventry Copsewood F.C. and was part of the Copsewood Sports and Social Club based in Allard Way, Coventry.
In its early years the club played in the local district and works leagues and after the Second World War was one of the main clubs in the city.
During the 1970s, the club won its league internal cup four times and the Coventry Telegraph Cup three years in succession. It also won the Birmingham Junior Cup twice.
In 1993, the club applied to join the Midland Football Combination. In the first three seasons, the club finished 5th but gained promotion to Division One due to its excellent facilities. In the 1996-1997 season, Copsewood did the League and Cup double in Division One and the managers Ashley Alexander and Jez o'Neill won the Manager of the Year award.
The club currently plays in the Midland Football League Division One.